5 Best Aquarium Starter Kit to Introduce a New Hobby
Another door is about to be discovered. This is the splashy way to the science and art of fishkeeping. Diving into this hobby mostly starts with curiosity and interest. When passion and hard work manifest together, another fulfilled aquarist will be born. To be of help in finding happiness through this hobby, we listed 5 best aquarium starter kits for a mellow beginning.
“Big things have small beginnings”
A 5-gallon tank is ideal for beginners. Marineland ML90609 Portrait Aquarium Kit includes the basic components needed to start a life as a “fish parent”. The kit comes with lights, filter, and pump. It has advanced 3-stage hidden back panel filtration with adjustable flow filter pump. The Marineland 5 Gallon Portrait Starter Kit is easy to set up and looks great in any room. The bright white and blue LEDs with daylight and moonlight settings set the mood of the tank. The blue LEDs produce a relaxing moonlight glow. The LED hinges for easy access and comes with a 3-way toggle to switch between white, blue and off. The hinged light and sliding canopy make an easy access to the tank.
- Bubble maker like air stone can be added for an extra cool look by simply attaching the air tubing to the air pump.
- Better start with artificial plants as an ornament before shifting to live ones, the new fish parent might need time to adjust caring for a whole new miniature environment.
Another great aquarium starter kit from API, the Panaview Aquarium comes with a rounded front and flat back so you can tuck it nicely up against a wall.
The kit’s components are pretty much everything needed to set up an aquarium including a power filter and a 7 color LED system. LED light technology is relatively new, constantly changing and improving as new solutions become available. It’s a compact 5-gallon flat-backed aquarium with a rounded front, a streamline look; elegant and compact enough to fit onto a desk or dresser although with rounded corners.
It is energy-efficient with 7-color LED lighting (amber, aqua, blue, green, purple, red, and white) that illuminates the tank’s inhabitants. The different lighting choices make this a great tank. Beautiful and easy to keep. It has a 10 internal power filter that cleans and purifies the tank (45 GPH flow rate). The Bio-Chem Zorb 10 filter cartridge removes discolorations, odors, and more. Seamless acrylic construction offers a crystal clear view; resistant to impact and child-friendly.
- When washing the aquarium, do not use soap or detergents––they are highly toxic to fish.
- To wash the gravel, put it in a colander over a plastic pan or bucket and add water. Stir the gravel, drain, and repeat until the water is clear and is free of debris.
This Cube Aquarium Kit is the perfect starter aquarium for kitchens, dormitories, classrooms, and offices. The 3-gallon kit fits almost anywhere! The sleek and seamless tank is as transparent as glass and provides a unique and exciting panoramic view of your personal underwater habitat. The kit is equipped with a Tetra(R) 3i filter to keep your tank clean and provide a perfect environment for your fish.
The tank also features LED light and a convenient feeding hole. You can count on the Tetra(R) Aquarium Kits to be safe and reliable for years of enjoyment. The aquarium and cover are made of a clear plastic that resists cracking or shattering. Though it’s plastic, it is a very cute tank, the perfect size for a betta or other small fish. The black base is cheap but doesn’t look too bad at all. The lid is pretty thin.
Upon purchase, it comes with a light, filter, air pump, lid, and aquarium. There are no rocks, plants, water, statue, pebbles, or fish included.
- If you’re adding live plants, make sure the water is warm enough for them.
- Submersible Aquarium Heater is ideal for aquariums between 2 to 10 gallons with hoods or glass canopies.
- Plant the roots gently below the surface of the gravel, leaving the crown (if the plant has one) exposed.
An overflowing beauty in 3 gallons, Tetra ColorFusion Half Moon Aquarium Kit is perfect for an office or dorm environment. The kit includes a 180-degree seamless aquarium and an auto color-changing submersible LED lighting unit that combines with an air curtain to form a uniquely colorful bubbling effect. It also includes a cartridge-based, Tetra Whisper filtration unit for easy, reliable maintenance. Make it your own with gravel, plants, water and fish. Its nice design, including the width and height, makes it known in the market. Air bubbles are easily adjustable that allows a range from off to high. The cover has an opening for removal and feeding.
Its half cylinder shape makes your Betta fish easy to view from all angles. The subtle sound of the filter, with the bubbler and the colors provides a very soothing environment to relax or have a meaningful conversation.
- In deciding where to place the aquarium remember that too much sunlight will cause excessive algae growth and a maintenance nightmare. An interior wall, away from bright light, is best.
- Try to stay away from putting the tank under a vent – dust will blow out and drop into the fish tank. It will also be harder to maintain a consistent water temperature, something that is important for all fish but vital for some.
The smallest in the list, this easy, safe, and fun aquarium is designed for beginners. Tetra Water Wonders conveniently comes with most of the accessories that you need to keep your betta healthy. This 1.5-gallon size tank fits almost anywhere. Completely equipped for an instant setup that includes a filter, adjustable LED light, filter cartridge, and complete setup guide. A clear, resilient acrylic tank that offers a beautiful underwater view.
The vented cutouts on the top lid with rounded edges is a very nice touch to easily feed Betta without lifting the lid. Cutouts are both in front and back. This allows for easy removal of the lid without worrying about scratching or nicking yourself.
This aquarium’s sleek design and low price make it’s an excellent starting fish tank for someone just getting into keeping betta fish.
Tetra makes incredibly attractive aquariums, and while 1.5 gallons (5 liters) is on the small side for a betta fish, it can still comfortably house one of these fish as long as it’s properly maintained.
- The filter is essential to have a healthy aquarium.
- Filtration 101; There are 3 kinds of filtration that a beginner should be familiar with. Mechanical, chemical and biological. Mechanical filtration simply involves the removal of solid waste from the water in your tank. Chemical filtration is generally accomplished through the use of filter media like activated carbon which helps to remove harmful toxins. Biological filtration simply refers to the inclusion of a bio-wheel or some other filter attachment which provides a place for beneficial bacteria to live and multiply.
Keeping a home aquarium can be a fun and rewarding experience. It brings both intrinsic and extrinsic benefit. However, just like other hobbies, it has challenges. If you familiarize yourself with these challenges prior to setting up your first tank you will have a greater chance of success. Not only will you have learned what you need to start out in this hobby, but you will also understand some of the common mistakes new hobbyists make and how to avoid the frustration that comes along with them. Take every step of this new hobby slowly but surely.