We can all agree cats are pretty cool, despite the fact you may be a dog person. They have their own very distinct personalities, act super independent but also just want to lay on you every waking moment. If you plan to do some online shopping or work on the laptop you can forget it, right? They position themselves in front and even on top of the computer just to get your attention. If you’re just walking by them too fast or in a way that offends them, they will charge! Despite these annoyances, you love them and cherish their furriness through the scratches and cuddles. 50 facts may seem like a lot, they don’t even begin to cover how interesting and neat cats really are.
1. Cats have 1,000 times more memory storage in their brains than an iPad.
2. Abraham Lincoln kept four cats in the White House while he was in office.
3. Cats only sweat through their foot pads.
4. A cat’s nose is unique to each and every cat, sort of like a fingerprint (very cool).
5. The Egyptian Mau is the oldest and fastest breed of cat.
6. Only 11.5% of people consider themselves to be “cat people”.
7. The largest litter of kittens made 19 kittens.
8. Cats make about 100 different sounds and dogs make about 10.
9. Black cats are bad luck in the United States, but they are good luck in the United Kingdom and Australia.
10. A cat’s heart beats nearly twice as fast as a human heart, at 110 to 140 beats a minute.
11. The oldest cat to give birth was Kitty who, at the age of 30, gave birth to two kittens. During her life, she gave birth to 218 kittens.
12. The world’s richest cat was left £7 million in his owner’s, Ben Rea, will.
13. When a family cat died in ancient Egypt, family members would shave off their eyebrows as they mourned.
14. Cats have scent glands along their tail, their forehead, lips, chin, and the underside of their front paws.
15. Hearing is the strongest of cat’s senses: They can hear sounds as high as 64 kHz — compared with humans, who can hear only as high as 20 kHz.
16. A cat has detected his owner’s breast cancer.
17. Cats have a lower social IQ than dogs but can solve more difficult cognitive problems when they feel like it.
18. Your cat recognizes your voice but just acts too cool to care (sounds about right).
19. Owning a cat can reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack by a third.
20. Cats have over 20 muscles that control their ears.
21. Cats are the most popular pet in the United States: There are 88 million pet cats and 74 million dogs.
22. Cats sleep 70% of their lives (WOW).
23. Wikipedia has a recording of a cat meowing because why not?
24. The technical term for “hairball” is “bezoar.”
25. A cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s — more similar than to a dog’s.
26. One legend claims that cats were created when a lion on Noah’s Ark sneezed and two kittens came out.
27. Cats use their whiskers to detect if they can fit through a space.
28. A house cat is faster than Usain Bolt (!!!).
29. Cats can change their meow to manipulate a human, they can imitate a human baby when they need food.
30. Cat people are 25% likely to pick George as their favorite Beatle.
31. A cat’s carbon footprint is similar to that of a VW Bug, whereas a dog’s is more like a Hummer.
32. Cats have inferior daytime sight, but during the night they need seven times less light than humans to see.
33. Only 24% of cats who enter animal shelters are adopted.
34. A cat has been mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska, for 15 years. His name is Stubbs.
35. In tigers and tabbies, the middle of the tongue is covered in backward-pointing spines, used for breaking off and gripping meat.
36. The world’s largest cat measured 3.9 feet this year, his name is Omar and he lives in Australia.
37. According to Wilde, a slow blink is a “kitty kiss.” This movement shows contentment and trust.
38. Cat videos are so popular online that there is an annual film festival that features the best ones.
39. Cats are susceptible to more than 250 hereditary disorders, and many of them are similar to diseases that humans get.
40. Cats can’t taste sweets at all (how sad).
41. cats spend between 30 and 50 percent of their days cleaning themselves.
42. A cat can jump up to five times its own height in a single bound (super cat to the rescue).
43. A female cat is called a queen or a molly.
44. Cats are extremely sensitive to vibrations. Cats are said to detect earthquake tremors 10 or 15 minutes before humans can.
45. In just seven years, a single pair of cats and their offspring could produce a staggering total of 420,000 kittens.
46. The cat who holds the record for the longest non-fatal fall is Andy. He fell from the 16th floor of an apartment building (about 200 ft/.06 km) and survived.
47. Cats have about 130,000 hairs per square inch (20,155 hairs per square centimeter).
48. When your cat brings home a dead mouse or bird, it may be because you suck at hunting.
49. Cats are often lactose intolerant, so quit givin’ them milk!
See, we haven’t even began to scratch the surface on these cool cats. They may drive you crazy but no one cuddles and loves you more than your fun babies. The month of June is Adopt-A-Shelter Cat Month and if you’re thinking about adopting a kitten or adult cat visit your local shelter. Have a meow-nificent Thursday everybody!