Can Dogs Actually Eat Chocolate?

»»Can Dogs Actually Eat Chocolate?

Oh how humans love chocolate, especially during the holidays! While it may be a wonderful treat for us, you should never share it with your dog. While there are many “human foods” that are fine to share with our furry friends, chocolate is on the do not feed list. Chocolate, even in small amounts, can lead to illness and even death in dogs.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate, don’t wait for signs before taking them to see your veterinarian. Warning signs of poisoning can take 6 to 12 hours to manifest. Symptoms include:

  • Extreme thirst
  • Diarrhea
  • Pacing
  • Panting
  • Shaking
  • Seizures

Early treatment is important, so be sure to see your vet right away if your dog eats chocolate. Make sure to tell your vet how much chocolate you think your dog ate, and what kind it was. Also be sure to alert them of any changes in behavior, and if your dog vomited.

A dog will usually vomit on their own, but if not your vet may recommend ways to induce vomiting to get the chocolate out of their system. Because stimulants in chocolate stay in the body for a long time, symptoms can last up to 72 hours in severe cases.

Keep all chocolate in a place where it is out of reach for dogs, and be extra careful when eating it so you don’t drop any. Dogs can be quick when they see something they want to eat! As always, if you have concerns about your pet consult with your veterinarian.

By | 2017-12-22T20:29:53+00:00 December 20, 2017|Categories: |0 Comments

About the Author:

Recent Texas Tech graduate with a Bachelors in public relations. Ashley enjoys writing, creating graphics and watching funny puppy videos with her cat, Bill.

Leave A Comment