Before any ghosts and goblins knock on your door this Halloween, PurinaCare® is urging pet owners to pet-proof your home from the top Halloween hazards that can harm your pet and lead to expensive emergency veterinary care. Here is an easy guide to a safe and healthy Halloween for the whole family including your pet.
Top Halloween pet hazards:
- Halloween poisoning – Dogs love chocolate, but don’t let your dog get near the Halloween candy. Chocolate contains stimulants that are toxic and can be deadly for dogs.
- Halloween ingestion – It only takes seconds for pieces of Halloween costumes, candy wrappers or lollipop sticks to become lodged in a curious pet’s throat, perforate the stomach or bowels, or obstruct and irritate the digestive system.
- Halloween burns – Whiskers and tails are easily burned by Halloween candles and Jack-o-lanterns. Keep Halloween light cords out of chewing range to avoid electrocution.
- Halloween stress – Pets can become stressed and aggressive from constant doorbell ringing, strangers, unfamiliar costumes, and loud voices. This can create unexpected situations that lead to severe injuries. Keep your pets at home and in a quiet, safe place.
“It takes only seconds for Halloween fun to turn into something truly scary for your pet. The cost for emergency veterinary care can range from a few hundred dollars for poisoning or minor burns to several thousand dollars if surgery is required for intestinal blockage, skin grafts or other severe injuries,” says Dr. Bill Craig, DVM, Chief Medical and Underwriting Director of PurinaCare Pet Health Insurance. “Removing the Halloween hazards from your pet’s environment will keep your pet safe and prevent paying for unnecessary veterinary bills.”