Frogs can be very enjoyable and interesting pets. However, they are very sensitive and can fall ill very easily. It is very difficult to treat many diseases of frogs. Therefore, the best method of caring your pet frog is prevention. Here is a list of common symptoms of frogs. If you notice any one or more symptoms, your frog may be suffering from an illness or parasite.
• Very thin
• Does not hop properly or weak when it tries to move
• Lesions, abscesses, lumps or other types of holes or tears in its skin
• Extremes of color such as very dark, very pale, or weird shades like khaki, red, etc
• Sitting out in the open during daytime, mostly in the middle of a lawn, driveway or road
• Black patches, pale spots, blotches or freckles on the legs or backs. It will be natural if these spots appear other than these places.
• Pink or red flush or pimples on the belly
• Deformities such as misshapen eyes, bent bones in legs, missing eye, wrong number of toes, etc
• Back half of the body looks stunted and front half looks normal
• Underside of the body is orange, pink or red, especially towards the back end of its body
• Body is swollen up with fluid or air
• Eyes are cloudy
• Produce a very slimy coating on the body
If your pet is experiencing any unusual conditions, separate it from other pets so that others do not get sick. In some areas, you may be able to find a herp vet to help treat your pet. If not, a local pet shop or reptile shop should be able to give you additional information regarding the health of your pet.