Keeping Your Pets Safe for Independance Day

»»Keeping Your Pets Safe for Independance Day

The American Independence Day is often a week or weekend-long celebration with good food, friends, family, and of course, lots of amazing fireworks. This year, as you celebrate around your backyard, local fair, or family campground, make sure that your pets have a safe celebration as well. The ASPCA recommends the following tips to help keep your pets safe:

 

  1. Many dogs and cats get frightened by the loud fireworks and can escape and take off running in search of a quiet haven. The number step for preventing the loss of your pet is to make sure that they are securely contained, preferably in your home during fireworks. However, if your family is like thousands of others, you enjoy having your dog around the barbecue and don’t want to have them locked inside during all of the festivities. If this is the case and you would like to include your pet, remember to have him or her on a secure leash to prevent them from running off. And, if your pet does escape and runs off, having proper identification in the forms of visible registration tags, as well as microchipping, can help ensure that your beloved pet is returned safely.

  1. Never allow any fireworks to be set off near your pet. Fireworks are not only scary to animals but may prove to be quite dangerous. Lit fireworks can potentially result in burned faces or paws. Even unlit or already burnt fireworks can be dangerous if your pet ends up chewing on the toxic chemicals within them. To ensure your pet’s safety, you would be best to keep all fireworks away from him and make sure he or she is secured away from the fireworks location before any is lit.

  1. Keep your pet safely away from the campfire, candles, insect coils, and tiki torches. All of these items present a danger, not only by burning if touched but can also present irritations if inhaled. The fumes from fires and the oils in the candles have been known to cause aspiration pneumonia in pets as well as severe allergic reactions.

  1. Glow sticks and necklaces are fun for the kids but can be very dangerous to pets. Do not put any of these glow items on your pets for if your pet chews them up they may ingest the toxic glow material. The toxic glow stuff inside glow sticks and glow jewelry has been known to create severe gastrointestinal irritation in pets and dogs have been known to choke on the plastic glow containers. If you really want to help make your pets visible, there are a number of pet-safe glow collars or flashing clips on the market.

  1. Always keep any alcoholic beverages securely away from your pets to avoid accidental ingestion. When ingested in even small amounts, alcohol can cause your pet to become intoxicated, leading to weakness, dehydration, and possibly causing your pet to go into an alcohol-induced coma. In severe cases of alcohol poisoning, your pet could also go into respiratory failure and the results could be fatal.

  1. Never leave matches or lighter fluid within reach of your pets. Most types of matches are made from a chemical called chlorate, which can be severely toxic if ingested. Ingestion of chlorate can lead to damaged blood cells, labored breathing, and kidney disease. In addition to the dangers in matches, lighter fluid is also toxic to pets. If your pet comes in contact with lighter fluid, their skin may become severely irritated. If your pet drinks lighter fluid then they can experience gastrointestinal issues, central nervous system damage. Lighter fluid is also toxic when inhaled, even when it is not lit. When inhaled, the toxins from lighter fluid can lead to momentary aspiration pneumonia and even long-term damage to the lungs.

  1. Never apply any insect repellent or sun screen that has been manufactured for use on humans. There are several varieties of sun screen and insect repellent on the market that were designed specifically for use on pets. Using human sun screen or insect repellents on pets can lead to severe skin irritations, and horrible repercussions if ingested. Insect repellents containing the chemical component of DEET can be especially dangerous to pets, leading to chronic neurological issues, vomiting, diarrhea, and possibly seizures.

  1. Use good judgement when deciding which table scraps to share with your pets. While the best decision is to keep your pet on their regular diet and avoid any table scraps, this is often difficult for pet parents, especially when camping or barbecuing. If you must share scraps with your pet, avoid sharing any foods that are toxic, such as chocolate or grapes, and stick to meats that have not been slathered in barbecue sauce and spices.

  1. Keep your pet well-hydrated. In the excitement of visiting with friends and family, it may be easy to forget about your pet family member. Make sure you keep a bowl of fresh water nearby at all times and make sure your pet’s leash or pen allows them free access to the water. If you will be outside and away from a home water system, you may want to consider bringing a milk jug full of water for your furry friend.

  1. If your pet is prone to occasionally snapping (but not enough to keep them imprisoned), make sure you let any new kids or over-exuberant adults know that they should keep their distance and approach your dog or cat calmly. In the excitement of new people and loud fireworks, an otherwise friendly pet may become frightened and aggressive. Maybe a muzzle wouldn’t be a bad idea in severe cases.

 

By | 2017-07-30T22:41:20+00:00 July 4, 2017|Categories: , |0 Comments

About the Author:

Raised in the St. Louis area, Brandy has been an obsessed animal lover since birth. Her dream is to own a petting zoo and an animal shelter when she "grows up".

Leave A Comment